At the BestCan Windows & Doors showroom in Ottawa, we love being able to answer questions about home renovations and improvement projects. In fact, one of the most commonly asked questions revolves around windows and we thought sharing some of the answer may help others best determine their next steps.
How To Determine If Your Windows Need Replacing
Let’s be honest. As a homeowner, you can tell when your asphalt shingles are failing. You can visually see when your deck needs to be sanded and refinished. You know when a hot water tank fails or when the furnace if on its last legs. Yet windows, for some reason, seem to fall of the radar. Perhaps we take them for granted, it is hard to say.
Given that windows play an essential role in keeping your home safe, sealed and secured, they really should be inspected on a seasonal basis. The items you need to evaluate for each window are as follows:
- Are there any broken parts or components? Are the seals sealing or do you feel any major drafts from the seals?
- Do you see any cracks in the glass? Oftentimes, tiny hairline cracks will develop at the outer edges of older windows.
- Is there a haze or moisture between the panes? Hazing or moisture between the panes (not on the interior window pane) is often an indicator that a seal has broken.
- Do you see rays of sunlight, or in worse case scenarios, can you see the exterior from a visible crack around the edge or frame of your window?
- If your windows frames are wooden, do you have flaky paint, evidence of water staining, mould spotting or swelling?
- Are you windows becoming more and more difficult to open?
If you can answer “yes” to any more or more of the above questions, it is likely the window in question is deteriorating or is broken. While some projects, like glass replacement for cracked glass, can prolong a window lifespan – visible gaps or heavy drafts should be further explored. After all, we pay enough for Hydro in Ontario – so heat loss is something we all should strive to curb.
The seasoned professionals on BestCan’s Windows & Doors crew would be happy to provide an on-site review of your windows and to provide an estimate for repair or replacement. We know your home is a major investment and we take pride in helping your keep it in tip-top shape, with high-quality products at affordable prices. Contact us today by calling 613-226-7611 or request a quote online.